Over lunch today, I was reminded that, rather than focus on what’s missing or imperfect in my world, I should be grateful for the good things. I thought that a good reminder, so it became the subject of my list for today.
Things for which I am immensely grateful right now:
- Mom. A dear friend is in the process of losing her mom to cancer. I have my mom. We have our struggles. Our relationship isn’t perfect. We hurt each other sometimes. Still, I know she loves me, and she knows I love her. I am lucky to have her.
- Bread and Butter. I woke up this morning more than once to my two little beggars. After they ate for probably the fifth time this morning, Bread sat with me so I could rub his chest and kiss his face, which I did for at least ten minutes. I love that he lets me love on him. I love him. And Butter, too. They keep my heart full.
- My home. A friend’s friend lost her home over the weekend. I’m grateful that I have my home and that I have a home that I love so completely. It’s a simple and inviting space. It’s even sweeter now that I have a bathroom in my bedroom and now that I’ve done so much organizing.
- My job. For the last year and a half, I’ve been really happy at work as a lawyer. Previously, I’ve had seasons of hating what I do, but now is not one of them. I’m enjoying my work. Perhaps more importantly, I’m enjoying my work environment. I love the people I get to work with every day.
- Kelly. Speaking of people I love at work, my friend Kelly came by this morning to talk. She had a question for me, and, through her question and the manner in which she asked it, she invited genuine and open conversation, which I appreciate. It’s easy sometimes to stay on the surface with people. I appreciate that Kelly took a chance to go a little deeper. She encourages me to do the same.
On this first Wednesday of 2013, I hope you find yourself deep in gratitude even if things are not exactly as you would like for them to be.
Happy Wednesday to you.