I have been reading a lot in the last few months, and there are some interesting books on my horizon.
- The Naked Now by Richard Rohr: I just finished reading this. I had never read this author before, but I am now a fan. He writes about faith not being an issue of black and white or right and wrong or judgment. It’s more about seeing and experiencing God in the daily world. I don’t know that I understand or agree with everything he says, but I do appreciate his general message, and I underlined throughout the book like crazy.
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed: I am reading this now. It’s about a woman’s trek on the Pacific Coast Trail in an effort to find herself. Lost woman on a hike? Yes, I will happily ready that book. I may have a Pacific Coast Trail hike in my future as a result!
- Do Life by Ben Davis: I am also reading this now because Ben Davis is coming to Book People this Saturday. I have been following Ben’s blog for a while. He was obese until four or five years ago when he took up running. He started bit by bit taking control of his life, and now he runs marathons and has even done two Ironmans. He still struggles with food and training at times, which I can appreciate. He’s got a great story. I’m excited to meet the guy and join him for a run.
- Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen: I love memoir. This one is a woman’s look at her past, present and future and comments on marriage, girlfriends, bodies and more. She is a Pulitzer Prize winning writer, but I haven’t read her work before. I think it’ll be good.
- Going Clear by Lawrence Wright: I came across this book when I was browsing Book People’s website about the Ben Davis event. Lawrence Wright was recently at Book People talking about his writing on Scientology and Hollywood. I’m curious about Scientology, not for myself but so that I understand what’s happening in the movie world that I so love.
So this is my list right now. I need to try to not buy any more for a while, but books are addictive.
What are you reading?