I’ve got music on the brain, possibly because I spent the weekend in Nashville and went out for live music three of the four nights that I was there. This is a list of songs that I think are worth your time:
- “A Life That’s Good,” by the Stella sisters of the TV show Nashville: It’s my new theme song. “Sitting here tonight, by the fire light, it reminds me I already have more than I should. I don’t need a thing. No one to know my name. At the end of the day, Lord I pray, I have a life that’s good. Two arms around me, heaven to ground me, and a family that always calls me home. Four wheels to get there, enough love to share and a sweet sweet sweet song. At the end of the day, Lord I pray, I have a life that’s good.”
- “Mine Would Be You” by Blake Shelton: This is my new favorite love song. “What’s your all time high? Your good as it gets? Your hands down best ever make-up sex? What’s your guilty pleasure? Your old go to? Well, if you asked me, mine would be you….What’s your double dare? Your go all in? The craziest thing you ever did? Plain as your name in this tattoo. Look on my arm, mine would be you…What’s the greatest chapter in your book? Are there pages where it hurts to look? What’s the one regret you can’t work through? You got it, baby, mine would be you.”
- “Hold Me Darlin'” by Vicci Martinez: This is a song I wish I’d written. “Who am I now? Who was I then? What am I doing, baby? Who have I been? What am I worth to you? Is it even much? But I said I’m sorry. Are you giving up? Please don’t give up. Hold me darlin. Hold me please. I am sorry. I am weak. I pray for forgiveness and to be free. So hold me darlin’. Hold me please. It’s a good thing, baby. We just need some space. But I’m getting tired of looking at this empty place. I know you’re keeping busy. Is that why we’re out of touch? But my instinct tells me that you’re giving up. Please don’t give up.”
- “Glitter in the Air” by Pink: If I could be a rock star for one day, I’d want to be Pink and sing this song. “Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don’t care?…Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you’re not alone? Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry? Have you ever invited a stranger to come inside?…Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself will it ever get better than tonight?”
- “Keep it to Yourself” by Kacey Musgraves: If I wrote lyrics, I’d want to write like Kacey Musgraves. “You turn on the light then you turn it back off. You’re sleeping alone. Yeah it ain’t what you thought. It’s the drip of the sink. It’s the click of the clock. And you’re wondering if I’m sleeping. You heard from your friends that I’m doing okay. And you thinking that maybe you made a mistake. And you want me to know but I don’t want to know how you’re feeling. Keep it to yourself if you think that you still love me. Put it on a shelf. If you’re looking for someone, make it someone else.”
I have listened to each of these songs again and again in the last few weeks. They are my current favorites. What are yours?