In thinking about the events, good and bad, of the last year, I’ve come up with a list of commandments for myself. I made a commandment list over two years ago, so this is something of an update or perhaps a supplement.
- If you feel deeply hesitant about a change you are considering, trust yourself. Act only when certain. Any other time will be too soon.
- If you have to ask someone for assurance that they still love and want you, you know that they don’t. Believe yourself and move on.
- When someone says they want to leave you, let them. Even if you talk them out of it, you are only delaying the inevitable.
- If you wonder how well your heart and mind are, look at your body. If you’re heavy and out of shape, you’re struggling with something. Don’t ignore that.
- You know that person or thing you think you can’t live without? The truth is that you can. Every time.
- When you are sad, write. When you are angry, write. When you are disappointed, write. When you are happy, write. Write. Write. Write.
- At all times, be working towards something you want that scares you a little or even a lot.
- Be slow in deciding to enter a new relationship, but don’t count out the possibility of love. Ever.
- Don’t think you can’t. Whether the goal is becoming faster, leaner, or more bold, finding love, or whatever, know that you are capable.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the people you trust for help. The worst thing that can happen is that you learn who you can’t count on in times of need. The best thing that can happen is that you get the help you want. Either way, you’ve made progress.
I like lists like this one because sometimes I forget what I’ve learned. It’s good to be reminded.
This is my list right now. Do you have a similar list or item you’d be willing to share?