On July 10 of last year, I did a list I called Reasons to Smile Today. At the time, I noted that things were not all “sunshine and roses” in my world. They weren’t. I know the list was, in part, an effort to boost my own spirits. Today, my spirits are quite high. I think a new list is warranted.
- My big boss came into my office yesterday and told me that he ran into a friend of mine who told him that I was “illegally happy” these days. Considering he caught me being the opposite of illegally happy (translate: crying in my office) not that long ago, he and I both are grateful for the change.
- I caught up with my dear friend Erin last night. It was lovely to sit face-to-face with her, to laugh, to feel understood and to be inspired.
- When I got home, I did laundry and enjoyed a quiet evening alone at home.
- I slept 9 hours last night. I didn’t mean to, but I did, and it felt great.
- I just bought tickets to Portland for my fall marathon. Dave and I are going to spend some time looking around after the race. I’m excited.
- I’m going to leave work at a reasonable time today so I can make a 6pm spin class at my gym. I like spin classes. Time flies when I’m in them.
- I get to run the new Lady Bird Lake boardwalk and have breakfast with Poppe this weekend. I always enjoy time with Poppe. I can’t wait.
- I have nothing on my weekend schedule except workouts and house work. I was supposed to run a race in Rhode Island this weekend, but I decided that I was trying to do too much, so I cancelled it. That means I have an unscheduled weekend, which is rare for me.
- On Monday, I’m visiting a writing group. I’ve only met a couple of the women in the group so far, but I’m fairly certain I’m going to enjoy it. These women seem to be spunky.
- Dave will be in Texas for good in just three weeks. Okay, three weeks and two days, but who’s counting? [this girl raises her arm and waves it like a crazy person]
As today I revel in the sunshine and roses, I’m floored at what a difference a year can make.
I know not everyone around me is in the same place. I have friends for whom the disappointments are fresh, the challenges are huge, and the worries are many. I hope it helps, at least a little, to know that things can and will change. Having been through it myself, I believe that with my whole heart.